1. Is the Block of Greater Houston insured?
2. Are background checks performed on your staff?
Yes, we also perform background checks on our volunteers as well.
3. What back ground does your staff have in special needs?
All of our staff members have various backgrounds in special needs from advanced degrees to having a family member with special needs. Some of the staff members have backgrounds in Applied Behavior Analysis, Verbal Behavior, or are certified autism specialist. The Block’s new staff members are currently working on receiving their autism certificates. The Block performs year-round training for its staff.
4. What are the different types of Adventures you take your members on?
The Block participates in festivals, concerts, beach excursions, amusement parks, museums, parks or farms just to name a few.
5. Do you accept non verbal members?
6. How do you evaluate my child to see if they could join The Block?
During the enrollment process, various questions are asked in order to evaluate your child’s independency. If your child needs assistance in some basic tasks, that requires an 1:1 ratio, an extra fee is added.
7. What happens during Enrollment?
You will meet some of the Staff members of The Block while filling out the Financial Agreement, the Enrollment Application, the Waiver and Release of Liability, Parental Consent and Indemnity Agreement and the Medical Consent Form. You will also discuss day to day interactions with your child, including there likes and dislikes.
8. Do I have to sign up for a certain amount of days?
No, you sign up for the Adventures or days that you are interested in!
9. If I sign up for an Adventure and I have to cancel, do I get a refund?
No, the fee is non-refundable but we will credit your account so you can sign up for another day!
10. Are there scholarships or financial aid?
Currently, we do not offer any scholarships or financial aid but we have signed up to become a service provider with the nonprofit Susie Bean. Fill free to check out their website and sign up! http://susiebean.org/apply-
The Block is continuing to work on additional financial assistance for families in need.
11. My special needs child has a sibling, can the sibling attend the Adventure as well?
- If the child is between 13 and 16, the Adventure fee applies
- If the child is 17 and over, they can sign up to become a volunteer!
12. What do I have to do to become a Volunteer?
You would need to sign up online, attend a volunteer orientation and attend a mandatory volunteer meeting a few days before the Adventure starts.
13. Where is The Block's office located?
Currently, The Block has a global account with Regus. This means that The Block has the ability to find the closest Regus office building to you where the enrollment process can begin!
14. Is the pick up/ drop off location limited to the Sam's parking lot closest to me?
No, you can drive to any Sam’s location for pick up/ drop off.
The Block will suggest 2 Sam’s locations that are the closest for the members that signed up for that day in the confirmation email.
15. Do I have to bring a sack lunch for my child?
No, you can pay an additional $10 to have The Block provide a nutritious snack/ lunch.
16. Can my child bring cash to purchase their lunch?
No, we prefer cash to be left at home. There are a lot of moving parts happening during our Adventures. If you prefer your child to have money on them, we would suggest a gift card.